Friday, July 19, 2013

Stay Humble.

For me, I have an inner battle to stay humble. It wrestles with my pride, and they clash.

As Christians, heck, even as just people, I think staying humble is something we all struggle with.

For me, when I know I did something good, I'll tell the story to get a Good Job! or a pat on the back. I know it's wrong, but sometimes I just want to hear it. I want to know people are proud of me, and approve of me.

But, my friend sent me a letter today. She's at Work Crew for a month, and she sent me a letter on how it was going. A few things in the letter really hit me, and have stuck with me.

"We all wish to be humble, but what if no one noticed?"

"Being humble is about praising God, and not self glorification."

"My only regret should be that I couldn't give more at the feet of Jesus."

"Doing good is not to hope people see, but to be so enthralled with the Lord that you give Him all, and people just happen to notice."

The last one is my favorite, as is the third.

We want people to see us do good deeds because we want to feel like someone is proud of us. We crave that. We would break our backs to hear someone say "Good job, I'm proud of you!"

But that's not how it should be.

It's should be about us at all. Rather, it should be all about Jesus and His love for us.

Allowing pride to carry your heart will only effect your ability to love some people in the way Jesus does. And that's exactly what we were brought to do, to show people the love of Jesus, and we can't lead the way when we're blinded by our own pride.

To humble yourself is to be more concerned with people learning who God is instead of learning who you are. I struggle with that sometimes.


The other day, a friend of mine texted me saying "I'm going to get Daughter of the King of Kings tatted on my forearm, just thought I'd let you know" I was angry.  Daughter of the King of Kings has much importance to me, and I told her many times before that I had planned on getting that exact same thing. I didn't want her to steal my idea.

As soon as I had told her I didn't want her to get it, I prayed. For some reason I felt guilty despite the fact I told her the truth of how I felt. A voice in my head, no doubt God, asked "What are your reasons for not allowing her to get the tattoo?"

Every answer that came was selfish.
"It was MY thing."
"I was supposed to get that. ME!"

I realized then, I had made the situation about myself instead of about the Lord, as it should have been.

Telling her she couldn't get that tattooed on her body was the equivalent of saying being a Daughter of God didn't apply to her, which it does. As it applies to everyone, even those who don't love Him back yet.

So I had to humble myself (Which would have been impossible if I hadn't prayed.) and I told her that she could get it. After I told her, I no longer felt guilty or rotten. I had no choice but to praise God and thank Him for the strength He gave me to do so.

I shared this, not because I wanted a pat on the back, but as a reminder that the right thing to do is rarely the easiest. It's SO HARD to humble yourself sometimes.


Humble yourself.
Let down the armor and the rants about how you're so strong and nothing hurts you. Allow God to help you out.

Humble yourself by realizing you can do nothing without Him.

Allow Him to shine rather than yourself.


We all struggle with pride. And even to admit you struggle is being humble in itself.


Don't just do good so that others can see you, do good so that through you, others can see Him.

You either live all for Him, or all for nothing.

It's your choice.



"Doing good is not to hope people see, but to be so enthralled with the Lord that you give Him all, and people just happen to notice."


No comments:

Post a Comment